Based on the Transient Emphasis section of the award winning Elevate Mastering Limiter, Punctuate is a multi-band transient modulator based on the critical bands in the human ear.
Punctuate's intelligent algorithms allow you to control the transient emphasis or suppression of all 26 critical bands with just 4 controls. This makes for an incredibly powerful, but very easy to use, transient modulator.
Turn it Up
Transient shapers are used by top mix engineers to either crank up or soften the transients of instruments, emphasizing either the attack or sustain. However, traditional transient shapers work on the whole signal at once, modulating the whole frequency range when the transient snap is only happening in one band. Punctuate uses a model of the human ear to run a set of transient shapers across the whole spectrum of human hearing. This allows you to tailor the attack of a whole range of instruments, busses, and whole mixes without messing with the entire frequency range. The result is unparalleled transient shaping power focused where you need it, and not where you don’t.
- You can turn the drums up or down in an entire mix.
- Turn up just the kick drum, without effecting the bass
- Pull hi-hats out of the snare mic
- Turn up the snare crack, while turning down the thump
- Bring instruments like acoustic guitars and pianos forward in the mix, or push them back
- Breathe life back into dull or overcompressed mixes
- 26 Transient Modulators aligned to the critical bands of the human ear
- Adaptive Transient slider allows bands to work independently or smoothes them for more natural processing
- Emphasize or Suppress transients in each band, using the global Transient Emphasis slider to scale the overall processing
- Transient Length and Adaptive Transient Length controls allow you to fine tune the transient length
- Scrolling meter display shows the transient modulation in each band
- Mix control for parallel processing
- Same mastering quality input and output section available in all Elevate plug-ins
- Solo and reconfigure the bands for in depth sound design
The Science Behind Punctuate
Humans can only detect the presence of a tone if it is a certain distance from another tone playing at the same time. The Mel Scale defines the arrangement of auditory frequency bands such that each band sounds equally spaced from all others. This division of sound describes how humans hear. Most graphic EQs are IIR (infinite impulse response) or analog-style filters. These have a lot of great properties, but unfortunately the shape of an IIR filter isn’t very flexible. For instance, even with every band set flat, the total filter shape isn't actually flat. Furthermore, when you boost or cut each band you're effecting the ones next to it, as well. EQuivocate uses a linear phase FIR (finite impulse response) filter that doesn't have these problems so what you hear is true to what you see on the screen.
Instead of using what DSP engineers call "ideal" rectangular FIR filters, these are triangularly shaped filters. These are often used in hearing models as a first approximation to the critical bands in your inner ear. When you shape filters like the ones in your ear, the filtered signal sounds natural. In a complex signal, at any given time, you can really only hear one sound source in each filter.
Punctuate uses these filters to break the incoming audio signal into the 26 critical bands, and runs a transient shaper on each band for unprecedented control over the transients of the audio signal. By doing this Punctuate allows you to add punch in only the places where the signal needs, instead of just slamming the level of the entire signal up and down at the transient point. Because you have independent control over the bands, you can even emphasize transients in some bands while supressing them in others. And because it’s based on Critical Bands, it does this in such a way that sounds natural to the human ear, so you don’t hear any artifacts. Finally, Punctuate allows you to smooth the transient modulation across bands using the ADAPTIVE TRANSIENT control. This allows you to run the bands independently for ultimate control, or couple them for a smoother sound.
About Newfangled Audio
Newfangled Audio was started by former Eventide Engineer, Dan Gillespie, in order to research and develop signal processing techniques that are new to the field of professional audio. Punctuate is created by Newfangled Audio and distributed by Eventide.
- Windows 7+ AAX 32/64-bit, VST2 32/64-bit, VST3 32/64-bit
- macOS 10.7+ AAX 32/64-bit, AU 32/64-bit, VST2 32/64-bit, VST3 32/64-bit
- Eventide Audio tests their desktop plugins in Ableton Live, Cubase, FL Studio, Logic Pro, Pro Tools, and Studio One. However, their plugins should work with any compatible host - we recommend you download a 30-day demo at the Eventide Audio website to check before buying.
Receive FREE Shipping to ANYWHERE in the Continental United States on almost every item or order!
- Most items qualify for orders over $99.99
- FREE Economy shipping to the lower 48 states
- In order to protect your shipment from theft, we require a direct signature when delivered on most orders over $99
- International shipping is extra, contact us for an international shipping quote
- Free Shipping does not apply to special orders and oversized/overweight products
- Any expedited deliveries are available at an extra cost
Digital products are delivered via email, and nothing is physically shipped to you. Most products are delivered instantly, and will be marked as "eDelivery or Download" in these cases. Due to the irrevocable nature of digital goods, we are unable to offer returns or refunds for any order.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is delivered via secure, electronic delivery. You will receive the full product license and instructions direct to your email. Enjoy a safe and fast way to get the latest version and full support direct from the manufacturer.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.