Available for download, Nektar Technology's BOLT is a software synthesizer for use in composition and sound-design endeavors. It works as a VST or AU plug-in within your DAW.
The synth itself provides multiple oscillators that you can easily tweak from simple sine waves to rich timbres replete with overtones, all with the twist of a knob. BOLT makes use of a Harmonics Synthesis engine that provides a rich sound, one that doesn't necessarily need filtering to achieve a tone hefty in character.
This engine automatically generates overtones directly within the oscillators, so you won't find a typical filtering section. Instead, HARMONICS and ROLLOFF knobs change the waveshape and core sound. Controls are also on hand for adding odd harmonics and creating saw or square shapes.
BOLT offers a comprehensive modulation section with four generators: 3 LFOs and one envelope generator. These provide you with a deep set of modulation possibilities. The LFO sports 13 waveforms, including stepped and random waves.
At the bottom of BOLT's intuitive GUI you'll find four effects processors for further manipulation, including chorus, delay, reverb, and EQ. Tempo sync is on hand for the delay parameter.
This software is compatible with Mac and Windows platforms. It will work with any DAW that hosts AU or VST plug-ins.
Key Features at a Glance
- 4 oscillators (2 main, 2 sub)
- White noise generator per oscillator
- Unison Voice Double: stack up to 4 instances
- Frequency modulation (FM)
- X-Mod: Cross-modulation
- Overdrive stage for each oscillator
- ADSR envelope per oscillator
- 1 modulation envelope generator
- 3 LFOs (13 waveforms & MIDI sync)
- 4 modulation targets per source (LFO 1-3, Mod EG)
- 4 FX processors: EQ, chorus, delay & reverb
- Support for multiple sample rates
- Automatic 2-stage protection limiter
- Up to 16 voice polyphony
- Poly and Mono modes
- Over 500 factory and artist patches included
Nektar Technology BOLT Harmonics Specs
|Supported Plug-In Formats||AU, VST2, VST3|
|Visual Impairment Support||No|
|Supported Operating Systems||Windows 7
macOS 10.9 or Later