It’s here. One of the most highly requested components for Console 1 makes its debut. Introducing the Weiss Gambit Series for Console 1.
A painstaking extraction of the top features from two of the most admired digital processors, Weiss DS1-MK3 and Weiss EQ1—plus characteristic extras—the result is the clean, sharp channel strip engineers everywhere have been waiting for.
Alliance to Inspire Another refreshingly new product brought to you in partnership with Weiss Engineering.
Joining a storied slew of offerings in the successful partnership of Softube and Weiss Engineering, Weiss Gambit Series gives you the algorithms of the originals. But it also sports exclusive, high-end features such as below-threshold compression. Weiss Gambit Series channel strip for Console 1: created for mastering, now tailor-made for mixing.
- A neat and clean channel strip based on 1:1 code ports of the Weiss DS1-MK3 and EQ1
- Created in partnership with—and officially licensed by—Weiss Engineering
- Fresh, new sound for the Console 1 ecosystem
- Added functionality and features
- Thoroughly unique below-threshold compression
- A tailor-made for mixing channel strip for Console 1
- Based on the algorithms of the Weiss DS1-MK3 and the Weiss EQ1
- Improved functionality and features for the Console 1 workflow
- High and Low-Cut filters from the Weiss EQ1
- Gate, Expander and Below Threshold Compression in Shape section
- 4 Band EQ from the Weiss EQ1
- Compressor from the Weiss DS1-MK3
- Limiter from the Weiss DS1-MK3 with added modes from the Weiss MM-1.
Sometimes you need color and other times you want to preserve the integrity of your original content. The 1:1 porting in the Weiss Gambit Series gives you the cleanest shaping, EQ, and compression available, with the tactile control of Console 1. Whether used in mastering or mixing, this channel strip will provide you the surgical tools to control your material so that you keep it clean and pristine.
The Weiss Gambit Series channel strip gives Console 1 users an entirely new way to play. Combined with other channel strips in the Console 1 ecosystem, Gambit Series gives sonically rich returns on investment. Deploy the SSL 4000 strip on the close mics of a drum kit and the Zener-Bender strip on the overheads and room mics. Drop the Weiss Gambit Series strip on the drum bus, utilizing some of that unique below-threshold compression to expose the details and tones between the hits. Then sit back and savor the sound.
The Measure of Mastering
The apex of mastering units since its launch in the 1990s, Weiss DS1-MK3 is an indispensable tool in studios around the world. Unrivaled versatility and incomparable sound quality have made it an essential ingredient in nearly every major record of the past two decades. While Weiss’ updates and improvements to DS1-MK3 have made it practically perfect, Softube + Weiss’s fully digital compressor/limiter/de-esser performs tasks that an analog unit couldn’t even dream of.
An Unequaled EQ
The renowned sonic qualities of Weiss Engineering’s EQ1—combined with its flexibility as either a Minimum Phase EQ, a Linear Phase EQ, or a Dynamic EQ—have made it the essential digital mastering equalizer since its release in 1996. The plug-in is a one-for-one, line-by-line code port of the original with state-of-the-art bonus features that give it increased functionality over the original algorithms, 32-bit / 192 kHz operation, and updated ergonomics.
Softube’s exclusive partnership with Weiss Engineering comes with some pretty sweet perks. In creating the Gambit Series, we had the opportunity to work in collaboration with Daniel Weiss himself. Together we created features for the channel strip that make it a powerful mixing tool that can also be used for mastering. Features such as high/low pass filters, gate, expander, below-threshold compression, surgical equalizing, compressor, and limiter.
This Way Up
The most blow-your-mind component of the Gambit Series channel strip has to be below-threshold compression. As with any traditional compressor, above threshold refers to the dynamics processing for audio exceeding the set threshold. The below threshold, therefore, concerns the effect on the audio below the set threshold, as with a common gate or expander. So it follows that normal compression and expansion are called “above-threshold compression” and “below-threshold expansion." Gambit Series for Console 1 isn’t your everyday channel strip, though. It offers below-threshold compression and all the other gate, expander compression, and limiter features. Whoa, right?
Softube & Weiss: Meeting of the Minds
Weiss has been a pioneer in digital audio equipment design since 1979. That’s when Weiss founder, Daniel Weiss, joined Willi Studer AG in Switzerland as an engineer. In 1985, Weiss struck out on his own and founded Weiss Engineering with a focus on pioneering digital audio equipment for mastering studios. The result of that endeavor is now legend.
Softube’s relationship with Weiss started in 2008 when we were first introduced to Daniel Weiss. Despite having so many guiding principles in common, it wasn’t until 2015 that we got serious about working together. Three years—and some blood, sweat, and tears—later, the Softube + Weiss DS1-MK3 plug-in was unveiled to great fanfare. And the tradition continues.
The anatomy of the Weiss Gambit Series For Console 1 Channel Strip
- Input section - Low noise and super smooth, the input section features the 12 dB low-cut and 6 dB high-cut filters from the EQ1. Just like the original EQ1, every parameter is discrete, but with hundreds of steps that make it easy to dial in exact settings.
- Shape section - The Shape section of the Weiss Gambit Series works below the threshold. You can do normal expanding/gating, but it's also possible to do below-threshold compression. With below-threshold compression, you can enhance the soft sounds without affecting the loud sounds to, for example, bring out the tail of a reverb or the room sound of a drum bus, or get more legato in an electric bass without affecting the punch of it.
- Equalizer section - The EQ consists of the Weiss EQ1 in Low Latency mode without any dynamics. All four bands have a full range of frequency and the same cut/boost range as the original: -39 dB to +18 dB. The low and high bands have a fixed Q-range but selectable Cut, Peaking, and Shelving (Cut, Bell, and Shelf on Console 1). The two mid bands work exactly like the EQ1 bands in Peaking mode with the same extreme Q-Range of 0.2 – 650 as the original unit.
- Compressor section - The Compressor is the same as the Weiss DS1 with a limited feature set, just like the Weiss Compressor/Limiter plug-in. The ratio goes from 1:1 to 1000:1 and has an attack time as short as 0.02 ms. Pretty cool, if you ask us.
- Drive & Character section - How do you make a Drive for a super-clean unit? Well, it's not a drive so much as the Limiter from the DS1 and Weiss MM-1. Use the Drive knob to increase the gain into the Limiter thereby limiting all signals above 0 dB. The Character lets you select between the three limiter types: original DS1, enhanced Type 1, and enhanced Type 2.
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer (older OS versions may work but are not tested).
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.
- Screen resolution 1280x800 or larger.
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space. Specific information available on each instrument's page).
- Softube account.
- iLok account.
- Internet access for downloading installer and managing licenses.
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).
- Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz, in both mono and stereo.
- The most recent maintenance release of the DAW application is recommended.
In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.
However, due to plug-in host differences between DAWs - and our own rigorous testing standards - we only officially test our plug-ins and instruments in the most recent versions of Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, Live, Studio One, Digital Performer, Reaper and Sonar. Softube plugins are not tested in the non-listed systems, but they most likely work as long as the system requirements are met. We cannot guarantee a solution for issues in unsupported systems.
Please Note: Softube plug-ins support 64-bit hosts only, and a 64-bit OS is required. Therefore, for example, Pro Tools 10.x is no longer supported (contact support for latest 32-bit compatible instalers).
AAX DSP is not in active development, but older products still support AAX DSP. For legacy TDM/VENUE, please see the Legacy Installers page at Softube's website.
Welcome to ScitScat Music!
Scitscat's aim is to please and have been doing just that since 1994, over 100,000 Internet and store transactions in that time.
Music is our love and we have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) just like you. We buy studios, closeouts, and other gear in quantity and pass the savings on to you, our customers and friends.
We are musicians who write, record, produce, and play live just like you! We absolutely love music.
Our gear changes on an hourly basis and so will our website, so check back often as you won’t want to miss out on some unbelievable gear! I guarantee you that you will love doing business with us! You will get the respect that you deserve! You have Our word on that.
Free Items - Please note that pictures of any Free Items on listings are intended as a generic representation of the free item(s) offered. Free items will be sent to you based on our current stock at the time of sale. We will substitute like or similar items when necessary to insure that you still get your free item(s) with your purchase.
Digital Delivery - After finalizing your order for any downloadable product, you’ll receive an activation key via email. This email will include a product link and directions for downloading. Downloads are Non-Returnable Items. Download Emailed Globally.
PLEASE NOTE - Different items and manufacturers may have specific system requirements to use the product. BUYER is responsible for checking individual item specifications for compatibility with their system. We suggest you reference the manufacturers’ website(s) for this purpose.