Boss AD-10 Acoustic Preamp
Designed for gigging acoustic/electric guitarists, the BOSS AD-10 is a dual-channel acoustic preamp/DI pedal and recording interface. Measuring 8.5 x 6.3 x 2.3” and weighing only 1.3 lb, the unit is relatively compact and portable, so you can stuff it into your gig bag or accompanying satchel and take it with you to your next gig. One of the main features of the AD-10 is its Acoustic Resonance processing, which aims to restore the warm, present sound often missing from conventional undersaddle pickups. With this technology, you can plug your acoustic guitar into one of the AD-10’s 1/4" inputs, process the oft-quacky signal through BOSS’s tone-shaping technology, and net an expressive, resonant tone that's similar to your acoustic guitar in its organic state.
Anti-feedback controls are also on hand, with two separate notch filters for attenuating troublesome frequencies. An 80-second phrase looper lets you lay down over a minute of material to play over, while a four-band EQ and adjustable low-pass filter help bring luster to the stage. A boost footswitch is useful for raising your level for solos or lead breaks, and includes a tone control for changing your timbre in these important sections to cut through the mix. You’ll also find a tuner/mute footswitch.
This is a two-channel preamp, so you can connect two different instruments and switch between them, or connect both outputs from your acoustic guitar, should your axe sport dual outputs. Each channel features its own EQ section. Connections include two 1/4" instrument inputs, two 1/4" line outputs (one of which doubles as a headphone jack), 1/4" send/return jacks for connecting external effects, and two XLR outputs for PAs, mixers, or apposite recording devices. The XLR sections feature a ground lift switch, as well as a switch to toggle between outputting in mono or stereo; this is particularly useful if you’re making use of the onboard delays and ambiance effects, many of which operate in stereo. You can also attach a footswitch via the 1/4" expression jack to control certain effects externally.
When utilizing the USB port, you can use the AD-10 as a computer-audio interface, recording digital signal straight into your DAW with the unit’s resonance processing committed to the take. The AD-10 runs off the included AC power adapter, though you can also use six AA batteries.
Key Features at a Glance
- Preamp/DI for performing and recording with acoustic/electric guitars
- Acoustic Resonance restores the warm and rich resonance lost with most pickup systems
- Four-band EQ and variable low-cut filter for tone shaping
- Multiband compressor with MDP technology for transparent dynamics control
- Anti-feedback functions control feedback while maintaining balanced tone
- Two channels with independent EQ for connecting two instruments or blending multiple pickup sources
- Onboard ambience, delay, and chorus effects with multiple sound types and adjustable parameters
- Boost function with adjustable tone setting
- Memory function for storing 10 sound setups
- Onboard looper with 80 seconds of recording time
- XLR and 1/4" connectivity for interfacing with PA systems, stage monitors, amps, and external effects
- USB-audio interface functionality for computer recording and playback
- Built-in tuner
- Compact and portable design
- Runs on included AC adapter or six AA-size batteries