Boss DD-8 Digital Delay Pedal for Electric Guitars
With an expanded delay time of up to 10 seconds and new delay sounds, the BOSS DD-8 Digital Delay Pedal can find a way onto your pedalboard. You can apply the pedal to nearly any playing style.
The DD-8 is a digital delay with high-fidelity repeats, but it also offers eleven delay modes in total including a loop mode. Analog, Tape, Reverse, Shimmer, Warp, and more, the pedal gives you much in the way of options.
Despite its size, the DD-8 offers lots of functionality by way of dual input and output jacks for mono or stereo operation. Different stereo modes can be selected, including traditional 2-in / 2-out true stereo mode, panning mode for wide spatial delays, and wet/dry mode for complete control over mixing your signal. In fact, the stereo I/O connections have smart functionality and adapt to your particular workflow scheme automatically.
Traditional simple adjustments are made via the Effect Level, Feedback, and Delay Time knobs. An external Tempo/Exp input is also available for expanded external control. Adding multiple footswitches to the pedal's expression input unlocks a multitude creative possibilities; you can control tap tempo, change parameters for the looping section, and utilize a new Twist effect for soaring echo sounds. Alternately, an expression pedal can be used for continuous control of delay time, feedback, level, or all of them at once.
This pedal utilizes a buffered bypass for preserving tone across long cable runs when the pedal is disengaged. You'll also note the Carryover switch, which sets whether the delay trails continue after you engage the bypass switch, or whether they stop abruptly. This control is on the rear of the pedal.
The DD-8 can run off of a single 9V battery, as well as an optional, PSA 9 VDC power supply. The electronics are encased in BOSS's iconic durable metal housing with a nonslip rubber base. Included with the pedal is a 9V battery.
Key Features at a Glance
- 11 versatile modes include basic digital delay, vintage echoes, shimmer, mod, looper, and more
- Looper offers up to 40 seconds of mono recording time, overdub capability, and three-pedal operation with external footswitches
- Up to 10 seconds of delay time available with tap tempo input
- Carryover switch sets whether delay trails continue or stop when the effect is bypassed
- True stereo I/O and three selectable output modes (independent, panning, and wide stereo)
- Smart I/O jacks support a variety of connection setups (mono, stereo, wet/dry, wet only, and more)
- Support for external control with two footswitches or an expression pedal
- Esoteric Twist function available in each delay mode via an external footswitch
Delay Modes Offered
- Analog: Classic analog BBD delay sound
- Standard: Clear digital delay
- Tape: Vintage tape-based delay sound
- Warm: Digital delay with a softer sound
- Reverse: Backwards delay for cool psychedelic effects and other ideosyncratic tones
- RV: Digital delay with reverb added
- Shimmer: Pitch-shifted delay for lush, shimmering textures
- Mod: Digital delay with modulation added on the repeats
- Warp: Strange delay with expressive pedal control; holding the pedal switch increases feedback and level, allowing you to create ambient swell effects
- GLT: Creates glitchy machine-gun effects when the pedal switch is pressed; adjust the Feedback and Time knobs for a wide variety of sounds
- Loop: Loop recorder with overdub capability and up to 40 seconds of recording time with mono input (20 seconds with stereo input)