Boss MD-500 Modulation Multi-Effects Pedal for Electric Guitars
Put 28 different modulation effects under your feet with the BOSS MD-500 pedal for electric guitar and bass. Both standard effects and previously unavailable original processes are available in this stompbox, making it suitable for lovers of classic chorus, trusty tremolo, and reliable rotaries, as well as aficionados of more esoteric effects, like Slicer (based on the BOSS SL-20) and Overtone (based on the BOSS MO-20).
The MD-500 provides its sound using 32-bit AD/DA conversion, 32-bit floating-point processing, and sampling rates of 96 kHz, in order to achieve a large and precise range of expression while maintaining utter transparency, free of unwanted digital artifacts. With a panoply of parameters in every effects type, you’ll find more than enough control for shaping your tone. In addition to dedicated panel knobs for effect depth and level, you’ll also be able to perform extensive editing via the LCD screen and quadrumvirate of push-buttons. A tap tempo/control footswitch offers more in the way of on-the-fly manipulation, while the A and B footswitches provide bank selection tools, as well as multiple instantiation options, such as A/B Simul (two effects patches at once in either series or parallel), or parallel to do different destinations via the stereo outputs on the real panel.
Speaking of I/O, the MD-500 gives you a bevy of possibilities, what with its dual inputs for stereo instruments, dual outputs, expression/control jack, and MIDI I/O. All in all, you’ll find 297 built-in patch memories in the unit itself, though you can also interface via USB with Editor/Librarian software on your computer for remote editing, storing your custom patches, and more. This pedal runs on four AA batteries, or by means of a power adapter, available separately.
A/B Simul Mode and Insert Loop Function ExplainedA/B Simul lets you run two patches at once. A selectable series or parallel connection enables all sorts of tone-shaping possibilities, and you can even send each effect to its own separate output if you like. The MD-500 also features an external loop that lets you insert gain and drive pedals, and set the ideal effect order on a per-patch basis. For example, you can place a phaser or classic vibe before a drive pedal in one patch, while putting a flanger after the drive in the next. When you're in A/B Simul mode, it's even possible to position the loop between two different mod effects.
Control PossibilitiesThe MD-500 offers freely assignable switches and extensive real-time controls. By default, the A, B, and TAP/CTL switches offer control for patch/bank selection and bypass, plus tap tempo or real-time adjustment of one or more parameters. However, the switches can be customized to access three different mod patches, A/B Simul mode, and other functions. Via the rear-panel CTL 1,2/EXP jack, you can plug in up to two footswitches for further control, or an expression pedal to adjust wah, effect rate, and other parameters. MIDI I/O is also included, enabling further creative possibilities with advanced setups.
Key Features at a Glance
- Effects delivered with 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sample rate
- 12 modes and 28 modulation types, all with extensive editing parameters
- Classic, though updated, BOSS modulation effects
- A/B Simul mode for using two patches at once, with your choice of series/parallel connection, mixed, or split A/B output
- Insert Loop function allows you to use mod effects before, after, or around drive pedals
- Graphic LCD and intensive real-time control options
- 297 onboard patch memories and hands-on controls
- Selectable buffered-bypass or true-bypass operation
- MIDI I/O for interfacing with MIDI control devices
- USB-MIDI for connecting to the MD-500 Editor/Librarian or a DAW
- Runs on four AA-size batteries or PSA-series AC adapter (available separately)
- Chorus: Prime, CE-1 Chorus, CE-1 Vibrato, and TRI-CHO
- Flanger: Prime G (for guitar) and Prime B (for bass)
- Phaser: Prime G (for guitar), Prime B (for bass), and Script
- Classic Vibe: Chorus (mixed output) and Vibrato (effect-only output)
- Vibrato: Prime and Scanner (a tonewheel organ-style vibrato)
- Tremolo: Prime T and Prime P, plus Twin and Deluxe amp-style tremolo
- Dimension: Models Roland SDD-320 Dimension D rack unit; includes the original four sound modes and a fifth mode new to the lineup, plus a user setting for saving any combination of modes
- Ring Mod: Classic ring modulation effects, plus Intelligent mode for enhanced clarity when playing scales
- Rotary: Vintage rotating speaker effect with slow and fast speeds
- Filter: Auto wah and touch wah (with independent types optimized for guitar and bass), plus pattern filter type
- Slicer: Original BOSS effect derived from the popular SL-20 Slicer, with programmable options not available in the SL-20 pedal
- Overtone: Original BOSS effect based on the MO-2 Multi Overtone pedal; uses MDP tech to alter the input signal’s pitch and harmonic characteristics, allowing you to create interesting sound textures