ONE CHANNEL VINTAGE STYLE VACUUM TUBE COMPRESSOR /LEVELER
The COMP-2A is a one channel vintage style Compressor / Leveler using vacuum tubes in the signal and side-chain path.
The input and output is transformer balanced, using two different transformers, each one optimized for its purpose. This is the way audio components were built before transistors and integrated circuits became available.
Integrated circuits are small and cheap and widely used in most modern designs. The drawback is that audio components built with modern technology donâ€™t always provide the best perceived sound quality or the type of character that the modern user desires. The subjective sound quality delivered by vintage equipment is often preferred over the one delivered by modern units, a situation that is even more obvious now when music is recorded with clean-sounding digital audio equipment. This is the reason why so many vintage audio components are cloned and produced again and also why the vintage originals are often very expensive on the second hand market.
The circuit used in the COMP-2A is based on a classic design that was originally produced in the early 1960s and it was initially intended for broadcast applications. It uses an electro-luminescent panel and a photoelectric cell to control gain. This gives it a unique, program dependent compression characteristic.
In addition, the all-tube signal path and the transformers add a wonderful and musical character to the sound. The ease of use with only two main controls makes it very simple to achieve the desired sound. These attributes have made the original units a favorite of engineers and musicians worldwide.
This classic sound is now available at a very affordable price point with the COMP-2A.
- Vintage style all-tube signal path. The tubes are fitted with grounded shields.
- Transformer balanced input and output. Can drive almost any load, balanced or unbalanced.
- Golden Age Project's version of the classic optical unit using a long life electroluminescent panel and two carefully matched Silonex NSL5910 photo-resistors for T4B-style electro-optical gain control with program dependent attack and release times.
- Very simple to operate with only two main controls, Gain and Peak Reduction
- HF control can make the side-chain circuit more sensitive to mid and high frequency content.
- Hardwire bypass switch for easy comparisons.
- XLR and TRS input and output jacks for flexible connections.
- Link jack and switch for connecting to another unit for stereo operation.
- All external controls located on the front panel.
- Compact 2RU half rack format. Two units can be mounted with our 19-inch rack kit, the UNITE BIG.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.
- Linear low noise regulated filament and high voltage power supply.
- A big meter selectable to show gain reduction or output level at two different reference levels.
PLEASE NOTE - Different items and manufacturers may have specific system requirements to use the product. BUYER is responsible for checking individual item specifications for compatibility with their system. We suggest you reference the manufacturersâ€™ website(s) for this purpose. If you have questions, please reach out to us prior to purchasing.
Receive FREE Shipping to ANYWHERE in the Continental United States on almost every item or order!
- Most items qualify for orders over $99.99
- FREE Economy shipping to the lower 48 states
- In order to protect your shipment from theft, we require a direct signature when delivered on most orders over $99
- International shipping is extra, contact us for an international shipping quote
- Free Shipping does not apply to special orders and oversized/overweight products
- Any expedited deliveries are available at an extra cost
Digital products are delivered via email, and nothing is physically shipped to you. Most products are delivered instantly, and will be marked as "eDelivery or Download" in these cases. Due to the irrevocable nature of digital goods, we are unable to offer returns or refunds for any order.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is delivered via secure, electronic delivery. You will receive the full product license and instructions direct to your email. Enjoy a safe and fast way to get the latest version and full support direct from the manufacturer.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.