ONE CHANNEL VINTAGE STYLE COMPRESSOR / LEVELER
The COMP-3A Jr is a one channel vintage style Compressor / Leveler. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors, diodes and transistors. The input and output is transformer balanced, using two different transformers, each one optimized for its purpose. This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available.
Integrated circuits are small and cheap and widely used in most modern designs. The drawback is that audio components built with modern technology don't always provide the best perceived sound quality or the type of character that the modern user desires.
The subjective sound quality delivered by vintage equipment is often preferred over the one delivered by modern units, a situation that is even more obvious now when music is recorded with clean-sounding digital audio equipment.
This is the reason why so many vintage audio components are cloned and produced again and also why the vintage originals are often very expensive on the second hand market.
The circuit used in the COMP-3A Jr is based on classic design elements and it uses an integrated optocoupler to control gain. This gives the COMP-3A Jr a unique compression characteristics. In addition, the vintage style signal path adds a wonderful and musical character to the sound. The ease of use with only two main controls makes it very simple to achieve the desired sound. These attributes has made vintage products with a similar design favorites of engineers and musicians worldwide.
A classic sound and compression style is now available at a very affordable price point with the COMP-3A Jr.
- Vintage style electronics. No integrated circuits in the main audio signal path.
- Transformer balanced input and output. Can drive almost any load, balanced or unbalanced. The maximum output level is 25 dBu.
- Uses an integrated optocoupler to control gain. The fastest attack time is about 1 ms.
- Very simple to operate with only two main controls, Gain Makeup and Gain Reduction.
- Three-position TIME switch to select different combinations of Attack- and Release time.
- Selectable jumpers inside the unit to increase the timing on TIME-switch position B and C.
- LED-meter selectable to show output level or gain reduction.
- Hardwire bypass switch for easy comparisons.
- XLR and TRS input and output jacks for flexible connections.
- Link jack for connecting to another unit for stereo operation.
- All external controls located on the front panel.
- External power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers.
- Compact 1RU quarter rack format. Up to four units can be mounted in our 19-inch rack kit, the UNITE MKII.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.
Whats the difference between the COMP-3A and the COMP-3A Jr?
- The COMP-3A Jr is vintage style design with transformer balanced in- and output and fully discrete electronics, just like the COMP-3A.
- The design is different though and it uses an integrated opto-coupler instead of the classic T4 opto unit. The COMP-3A Jr does have a lower price and a smaller size compared to the COMP-3A. It also have a slightly different sound and compression characteristics.
So, its ultimately a matter of taste, and budget, which one you would choose.
PLEASE NOTE - Different items and manufacturers may have specific system requirements to use the product. BUYER is responsible for checking individual item specifications for compatibility with their system. We suggest you reference the manufacturersâ€™ website(s) for this purpose. If you have questions, please reach out to us prior to purchasing.
Receive FREE Shipping to ANYWHERE in the Continental United States on almost every item or order!
- Most items qualify for orders over $99.99
- FREE Economy shipping to the lower 48 states
- In order to protect your shipment from theft, we require a direct signature when delivered on most orders over $99
- International shipping is extra, contact us for an international shipping quote
- Free Shipping does not apply to special orders and oversized/overweight products
- Any expedited deliveries are available at an extra cost
Digital products are delivered via email, and nothing is physically shipped to you. Most products are delivered instantly, and will be marked as "eDelivery or Download" in these cases. Due to the irrevocable nature of digital goods, we are unable to offer returns or refunds for any order.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is delivered via secure, electronic delivery. You will receive the full product license and instructions direct to your email. Enjoy a safe and fast way to get the latest version and full support direct from the manufacturer.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.