Real deal ‘73 sound.
The 73JR II is an update to the already classic 73JR — a true ´73 style mic preamp in a single 500 series slot, with some added features that will satisfy the most demanding of recording engineers.
Employing discrete circuitry and conventional components, the 73JR II is a faithful 3 stage all Class-A ´73 preamp. Styroflex and tantalum capacitors have been used throughout. No corners were cut.
The all-discrete Class-A hi-pass filter is sweepable from 20 to 220 Hz — making it easier to make your low end tighter without affecting desired frequencies.
The Line mode allows for reamping of prerecorded tracks, and is a perfect solution for adding some color to lifeless recordings. The DI input (which automatically switches to DI mode when inserting a ¼” TS cable) is an all-discrete Class-A JFET circuit in front of the microphone transformer — giving you all of the color and weight you could ask for.
Finally, special care has been taken with power handling, implementing internal +24v slow-turn-on-regulation. This is extremely healthy for your 500 series enclosure’s power supply, and keeps the 73JR II’s power independent from other slots.
Heritage quality, through and through.
There are several compromises usually made when adapting a 73 preamp for the 500 Series, but none that you will find in the 73JR II. The 73JR II uses the full 3 gain stage circuit for up to 80 dB of gain with noise of -125dBu EIN all over the gain positions. The 73JR II uses a true 24volt on board power supply for identical performance and distortion point.
The 73JR II uses only discrete, through hole traditional components and hand labor for that great 70s vibe.
The output transformer is a custom Carnhill, made for in the St Ives factory. The input transformer is a custom Carnhill, made in Carnhill´s Oxford factory — this one has a huge impact on the extra mojo of the unit, and is the same one found in our higher-end 80 Series modules.
- A high-end, 3 stage ‘73-style microphone/DI preamplifier
- 80dB of British-style gain
- All discrete through hole components
- Class-A circuitry
- Internal +24v slow-turn-on-regulation for the very best performance
- A custom Carnhill output transformer, made at the St. Ives factory
- A custom Carnhill input transformer, made in Carnhill’s Offord factory
- Auto-switching, discrete Class-A JFET DI mode for true console-style weight and color
- Line input for reamping
- GAIN, OUTPUT, LO-Z, PAD, LINE, 48V, PHASE, HI-PASS, and HI-PASS FREQUENCY controls
Receive FREE Shipping to ANYWHERE in the Continental United States on almost every item or order!
- Most items qualify for orders over $99.99
- FREE Economy shipping to the lower 48 states
- In order to protect your shipment from theft, we require a direct signature when delivered on most orders over $99
- International shipping is extra, contact us for an international shipping quote
- Free Shipping does not apply to special orders and oversized/overweight products
- Any expedited deliveries are available at an extra cost
Digital products are delivered via email, and nothing is physically shipped to you. Most products are delivered instantly, and will be marked as "eDelivery or Download" in these cases. Due to the irrevocable nature of digital goods, we are unable to offer returns or refunds for any order.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is delivered via secure, electronic delivery. You will receive the full product license and instructions direct to your email. Enjoy a safe and fast way to get the latest version and full support direct from the manufacturer.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.