The SSL Network I/ O: A16.D16 is a 32 x 32 Dante network-enabled interface with four Superanalogue preamps, 12 line inputs, 16 analog line outputs and 16 channels of AES3 digital I/O in eight pairs
The SSL A16.D16 offers 16 bi-directional channels of analog and digital I/O for a total of 32-inputs and 32 outputs with Dante AoIP network capabilities. The analog input comprises four SSL SuperAnalogue mic preamps and 12 Superanalogue line inputs, plus 16 AES3 digital inputs. Output is a combination of 16 analog line-out and 16 AES3 output channels. The SSL A16.D16 also has four GPIO connections. All analog audio, AES audio, and GPIO connectors are 25-pin D-type. The A16.D16 can be controlled remotely from SSL System T and SSL’s Network I/O Controller app for PC. The A16.D16 is designed for multi-channel analog and AES I/O connections from control or machine rooms, featuring redundant power and network* connections.
SSL Network I/O: A16.D16 Just the Facts:
- Interface between control/machine room analog/AES connections and IP audio networks using Dante
- Redundant PSUs and Dante network connections
- Four SSL SuperAnalogue studio-grade preamps
- A further 12 line inputs and 16 line outputs
- Eight pairs of AES inputs and 8 pairs of AES outputs
- Device and parameter ownership assignment to avoid control conflicts
- Front facing Dante network connections
- Rear-facing audio and GPIO connections
- Silent operation—no cooling fans
SSL Network I/O: A16.D16—Under the Hood
Superanalogue preamps and I/O
The A16.D16 offers both analog and digital I/O, and features four of SSL’s renowned preamps. SSL preamps and signal paths, known as Superanalogue, are designed to be ultra transparent and super quiet. Superanalogue is defined by DC-coupled circuitry, which eliminates ICs, electrolytic capacitors*, and transformers in the signal path. DC-coupling provides an extraordinarily transparent audio path with flat, ultra-wide frequency response, extremely low distortion, and an almost immeasurable noise floor. SSL’s SuperAnalogue’s bandwidth is greater than 192kHz recorders and has a dynamic range well beyond 24-bit ADA converters. SuperAnalogue circuits are designed to be the fastest-acting, most tonally accurate audio circuits possible.
PAD Tech Note: SSL avoids using electrolytic capacitors for de-coupling between analog stages. The performance of an electrolytic capacitor is rendered imprecise by virtue of its physical construction, which makes it vulnerable to electromagnetic interference. Even expensive, high-quality electrolytics are not up to the specifications required by Superanalogue standards. Doubtless, you’ve heard the word, “recapped” when it comes to console maintenance. Due to temperature variations over time, electrolytic capacitors degrade and become leaky, resulting in significant noise issues, altered tonal characteristics, and a shortened product life.
SSL A16.D16 connectivity
The A16.D16 includes redundant PSUs with IEC connectors; either supply can individually power the unit. Ideally, these should be connected to separate power circuits to provide redundancy of incoming AC power. A16.D16 has two redundant sets of network connections. The Network A ports feature etherCON ruggedized RJ45 connectors. The Network B* ports are SFP (small form-factor pluggable) cages that can be fitted with either RJ45 single-mode or multi-mode LC (Lucent Connector) fiber connectors. This connectivity requires an additional Dante card which is not currently available.
*Note: Network B functionality is currently not enabled. Network B connectivity provides a future hardware upgrade path for direct SFP fiber connection.
Dante Audio over IP
Dante IP Audio networking provides an extremely versatile solution for multi-user environments where digital audio assets are shared across multiple recording areas and control rooms. With more than 350 Dante-enabled products by more than 150 different manufacturers already released, Dante by Audinate is A/V’s leading high-speed, low-latency network audio protocol. Able to use standard IT infrastructure (Ethernet cables, connections, network routers, and switches) Dante provides a cost-effective solution for audio distribution, routing, device discovery, and control. The ability to use IP audio networking offers a fresh approach to audio routing and asset sharing for audio productions offering a wide range of benefits.
Dante features and benefits:
- Up to 512 channels @ 48kHz (256 @ 96kHz) on a single 1GB connection
- Plug-and-play automatic discoverability of more than 500 devices from 220 different manufacturers—and growing
- Remote Device Control lets you configure parameters anywhere on the network
- Uses low-cost IT hardware, standard and/or existing Cat 5 or Cat 6 cabling with audio and control on the same network down a single cable
- Ethernet/IP connectivity simplifies interfacing with a wide range of devices including Intercoms
- Scalable systems can grow as your needs evolve. Want a bigger network? Just add another switch
- Full network redundancy: technology tried and tested across many industries and fully compatible with all network redundancy models
- Distributed routing control from unlimited devices or terminals
- Analog-style workaround means that catastrophic failure of a single device will have no effect on any other devices in the network
- IEEE and IETF compliant can mix with traffic on any standard IP infrastructure
- With Dante committed to conform with AVB standards and with AES67, the SSL Network I/O range is ready for future networked audio developments
SSL Network I/O Controller app
SSL Network I/O Controller software provides comprehensive remote control and status monitoring of Network I/O Mic, Line and AES3 interfaces across a Dante network. The software can be installed onto any PC located anywhere on the network. Multiple instances of the software can coexist on the network, with all instances having access to all SSL interfaces currently available on the network. The Controller application offers complete control over the extensive feature set of SSL’s interfaces and acts as a communication aid with clear real-time device and channel attention indication.
SSL Network I/O Controller app key features:
- Comprehensive control over Network I/O interfaces via a Dante network
- Clear real time device and channel attention indication
- Runs on any PC anywhere on the network
*Note: When the A16.D16 is used without an SSL console, configuration and control is achieved using the SSL Network I/O Controller PC application.
Receive FREE Shipping to ANYWHERE in the Continental United States on almost every item or order!
- Most items qualify for orders over $99.99
- FREE Economy shipping to the lower 48 states
- In order to protect your shipment from theft, we require a direct signature when delivered on most orders over $99
- International shipping is extra, contact us for an international shipping quote
- Free Shipping does not apply to special orders and oversized/overweight products
- Any expedited deliveries are available at an extra cost
Digital products are delivered via email, and nothing is physically shipped to you. Most products are delivered instantly, and will be marked as "eDelivery or Download" in these cases. Due to the irrevocable nature of digital goods, we are unable to offer returns or refunds for any order.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is delivered via secure, electronic delivery. You will receive the full product license and instructions direct to your email. Enjoy a safe and fast way to get the latest version and full support direct from the manufacturer.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.