United Studio Technologies UT FET47 Cardioid Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone
The United Studio Technologies UT FET47 Microphone was painstakingly recreated with the utmost attention to detail as is a take on a very classic and much desired condenser microphone that has been used on countless hit records. Realism and thickness that is true to the vintage sonics — now at an affordable price.
It’s a labor of love. The United Studio Technologies UT FET47 represents several years of R&D, blood, sweat, and tears — all to capture the essence of one of the most beloved and classic solid state condenser microphones, and recreate it for the modern recordist. The sonic qualities you’ve been chasing have arrived — at an accessible price, with uncompromised quality.
The United Studio Technologies UT FET47 features a custom Cinemag transformer, a custom Heiserman designed HZ-Series capsule, vintage polystyrene capacitors, and NOS (new old stock) FETs. Custom parts. Vintage new-old-stock parts. Mix that together with each microphone being built in the USA by actual recording engineers, and you have the UT FET47.
Featuring Heiserman Designed capsules
United worked with acclaimed capsule designer and manufacturer Eric Heiserman to develop a fresh take on the classic K47 German capsule design. Eric worked with the United team and the capsule manufacturer to develop a new capsule from the ground up. The capsule is open, articulate, and very three dimensional. This process required the analysis of everything from the sourced Mylar to the thread types of screws; but after many months and many iterations, they finally achieved what we had hoped for in the HZ-Series capsules.
While many of the HZ-Series design secrets will remain so, one superior attribute that canbe revealed is the use of dual, matched backplates. With the HZ-Series matching process, a far more accurate and consistent quality from side to side and capsule to capsule is achieved. The HZ-Series capsule is still manufactured only a few at a time, and stringently listened to and tested.
Custom Cinemag Transformers
United auditioned many recreations of the original German transformer; but quickly settled on an exceptional offering from Cinemag Transformers in California. Their answer to the classic part is truly a piece of art; a large, hefty transformer made from a ‘striped core’ of interleaved sets of high nickel and steel laminations, and wound to the specs of the original. It‘s humbucking design delivers clean, quiet operation. While they could have used smaller or less expensive transformer; they simply refused to compromise. They believe you’ll be glad they didn’t. This Cinemag transformer was truly everything they could hope for.
It’s not just another mic — it’s a United
Choosing the best microphone for your needs couldn’t be any more difficult these days. With so many options on the market, and so many claiming to have the vintage sound and failing to deliver, it can be overwhelming. That was United's inspiration: deliver the real product: affordably. The United UT FET47 represents their true passion for microphones, and was built with a holistic-design approach. With over 50 years of combined industry experience, United has spent years on research and development on this microphone.
United Studio Technologies UT FET47 Microphone Features
- Faithful reproduction of the legendary vintage German studio microphone
- Custom Heiserman HZ-series K47 capsule
- Custom wound, large, striped-core, American made Cinemag transformer
- Vintage polystyrene capacitors, and NOS (new old stock) FETs
- No electrolytic capacitors, over-spec’d components - it will last a lifetime
- Absolute workhorse, a desert-island microphone for professional studios and voiceover work
- Built in the USA
- Clean, clear, articulate, open sound. Low noise and high headroom and dynamic range.
United Studio Technologies UT FET47 Microphone Specifications
- Type: Condenser Microphone
- Capsule: HZ Series 34mm all-brass, dual-backplate K47
- Diaphragm: Dual-diaphragm, 6 micron, 24k gold sputtered Mylar (PET film)
- Power Supply: +48v Phantom Power (via XLR)
- Ground: Pin 1 XLR (required)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- SPL: 136 dB (145 dB w/ Pad) @ <.5% THD
- Output Impedance: 200 Ω
- Amplifier Type: Field Effect Transistor
- Self Noise:
- Output: Cinemag USA transformer balanced, pin 2 hot
- Body: Nickel electroplated, solid milled brass
- High pass filter: 75 Hz (-12dB down point)
- Pad: -10dB
- Connector: 24k gold plated XLR
- Mount: Self-contained stand swivel mount adapter