Four walls that rocked ′80s drum tracks
Phil Collins made history when he tracked the explosive drum sounds for the worldwide hit song “In the Air Tonight.” Awash in the unique reverb of the studio’s stone-walled drum room and crushed by compression, it has become perhaps the signature drum sound of the ′80s. Also used on Peter Gabriel’s “Intruder” and many other hits, the combination of heavy reverb and massive compression has been widely influential and instantly recognizable ever since!
Seeking to recapture that magic in their own studio, “Fisher Lane Farm” in the UK, the band Genesis enlisted the original engineer Hugh Padgham to build a drum room to the same specs as the one at Townhouse Studios where the iconic drum sound was produced. And while both rooms are sadly now gone, IK was given exclusive access to the Farm before it closed forever to preserve its distinctive sound in a brand-new plug-in.
The Farm Stone Room is here to give your drum tracks the sonic impact that only this type of rare stone live room can offer.
- Faithful and exclusive reproduction of the iconic stone room at Genesis’ studio Fisher Lane Farm
- Two room reverb channels: Neumann® U87 pair (Stereo Room) and STC® 4021 “Ball and biscuit” (Mono Crush)
- SSL®-modelled EQ and dynamics to sculpt the sound in the same way as they did in the studio
- Analog-modelled “SSL® Listen Mic Compressor” on the mono crush signal delivers powerful sound to any drum track
- IK’s latest proprietary VRM™ technology delivers the most realistic sound spaces ever
- Customizable “Curtain Open” or “Curtain Closed” dampening for a bright or darker sound
- EQ, Pre-delay and expanded Decay Time controls
- Dry and Wet signal level controls with solo buttons
- Works as a single plug-in for any DAW or inside the T-RackS 5 suite
Intuitive and flexible controls
Even if you’re not familiar with the award-winning line of T-RackS mixing and mastering plug-ins, you’ll find the controls in The Farm Stone Room easy to use, yet powerful and comprehensive. This single-panel plug-in contains the main tone-shaping elements of the original space and more.
The Mono Crush controls are unique to The Farm Stone Room, capturing the room in punchy and dirty mono using a vintage STC® 4021 “Ball & Biscuit.” An SSL® Listen Mic Compressor (LMC) was modeled and inserted in this section, which blended with the stereo Neumann® U87s room mics, gives you the amazing drum sound of tracks like Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight,” Genesis’ “Mama” and Peter Gabriel’s “Intruder.”
The story behind the sound
The Farm Stone Room plug-in not only represents an accurate recreation of the stone live room at Genesis’ studio, it’s also the closest you can get to the legendary Townhouse Studios drum room it was modeled after.
The stone walls of this relatively small-sized room give drums a huge sound, especially when run through the SSL® 4000G mixing console that producer/engineers Hugh Padgham and Nick Davis used at both Townhouse Studios and Fisher Lane Farm and faithfully reproduced here.
These studios no longer exist and there are few, if any, similar stone drum tracking rooms left in the world. Fortunately, thanks to Genesis and the help of Dave Kerzner and Nick Davis, IK was invited to the Fisher Lane Farm to fully capture all of the elements of this rare and special space before it was closed.
Why get The Farm Stone Room?
For decades artists, producers and engineers have looked for ways to make drums sound MASSIVE. One of the most important elements to achieving great drum sounds are the sounds of rooms and room emulation reverbs. This is one reason IK’s Sunset Sound and FAME Studio Reverb plug-ins are so popular. Now, with The Farm Stone Room, it’s possible to achieve a drum room sound that you can only get from a well-designed stone room.
Whether you want to get a drum sound as big as top hits recorded in the ′80s or add another dimension of HUGE to drum sounds useful in all styles of modern music from rock to hip hop, nothing else can get you the big smashed drum sound of The Farm Stone Room.
The power of T-RackS
Like all T-RackS plug-ins, The Farm Stone Room offers you two ways to work: as a single plug-in, or inside the T-RackS 5 shell.
The T-RackS shell offers a unique, modular system with up to 16-processor chains, series & parallel routing, easy A/B/C/D comparison, up to 192 kHz / 32-bit floating-point processing and much more, in both a plug-in and stand-alone mastering application.
- Works within the T-RackS CS Standalone application and as plug-in
- High-quality oversampling
- High-precision and high-transparency digital processors
- Accurately analog-modeled vintage classic devices
- Full-latency compensation support
- Supports sampling rates up to 192 kHz
- DSM™ and SCC™ proprietary IK technologies for extremely accurate digital models of analog hardware devices
- Native compatibility with 64-bit applications and operating systems
T-RackS 5 is a 64-bit application and requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System.
Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), macOS 10.10 or later.
Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): Audio Units, VST 2, VST 3, AAX.
Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2, 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), Windows® 7, Windows® 8 or Windows® 10. Requires an ASIO compatible sound card.
Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): VST 2, VST 3, AAX.
NOTE: EQual processor requires an OpenGL 2 compatible graphics adapter.
Internet connection is required as all of the Custom Shop operations are web based.
Receive FREE Shipping to ANYWHERE in the Continental United States on almost every item or order!
- Most items qualify for orders over $99.99
- FREE Economy shipping to the lower 48 states
- In order to protect your shipment from theft, we require a direct signature when delivered on most orders over $99
- International shipping is extra, contact us for an international shipping quote
- Free Shipping does not apply to special orders and oversized/overweight products
- Any expedited deliveries are available at an extra cost
Digital products are delivered via email, and nothing is physically shipped to you. Most products are delivered instantly, and will be marked as "eDelivery or Download" in these cases. Due to the irrevocable nature of digital goods, we are unable to offer returns or refunds for any order.
PLEASE NOTE: This product is delivered via secure, electronic delivery. You will receive the full product license and instructions direct to your email. Enjoy a safe and fast way to get the latest version and full support direct from the manufacturer.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.