“It's not a record until it's mastered on an Ampex tape machine.”
Thank you for checking out our Weekly blog.
In this blog I will be discussing UAD’s ATR 102 mastering tape Plug-In.
A little history
“The ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder plug-in for UAD-2 hardware and Apollo interfaces can provide the final “analog polish” to your music, turning songs, into albums. Fully authenticated by the Ampex Corporation, the ATR-102 plug-in faithfully captures the unique dynamics, colorful frequency response, and tape saturation of the original hardware.”
No magic here friends, this technique has been used for many years. You will usually see two large reel to reel tape recorders in every major studio. The first, a multi track 8 to 24 channel machine, the second, a mastering 2 channel 2 inch real to real tape machine!
You route the output of your mixer into the mastering tape machine, allowing you to record your mixes to tape, giving them the tape saturation.These machines were also used to back up take orders every session
- Ampex®-authenticated plug-in emulation of the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder — the most popular professional 2-track machine ever made
- Provides rich, cohesive tape sound, without the hassles of calibration, maintenance, tape degradation, etc.
- Models entire ATR-102 electronic path, including transformers, amplifiers, Repro, Sync, and Input paths
- Features multiple tape formulas, head configurations, and calibration levels
- Adjustable Wow, Flutter, Hiss, Hum, Crosstalk, and (L/R) Tape Delay
- Requires a UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card or Apollo Interface available from authorized dealers worldwide
- Independent L/R Input Gain (Record) and Output (Reproduce) Level
- IPS Speed/Emphasis Curve chooses between 3.75 NAB, 7.5 NAB, 7.5 CCIR, 15 NAB, 15 CCIR, 30 AES
- Independent L/R record Bias, Record EQ, and Playback EQs, with Auto and Manual Cal capabilities
NOW YOU CAN:
- Add analog polish to your mixes with the most popular professional 2-track tape machine ever made
- Harness tape “glue” and color to instrument buses for analog cohesion
- Artfully color signals through the entire ATR-102 circuit, including transformers, amplifiers, Repro, Sync, and Input paths
- Mix with presets from noted ATR-102 users Chuck Ainlay, Richard Dodd, Buddy Miller, Mike Poole, and more
Universal Audio does it again
Universal Audio and their engineers have once again taking this technology and technique to the plug-in world! They have meticulously re-created the sound this machine produced back in its day. They've actually added the same controls so for those of you who know the machine, you can feel right at home.
Once again friends, as always I can only suggest you try the 15 day demo and hear for yourself with the quality with these amazing flagons do for your mixes and Productions. Universal Audio is an amazing company, producing great product for all us engineers and producers. They have been around the block many years and know what they are doing. They have an excellent tech-support system and
Links of interest
Email us: email@example.com