“The Oxide Tape Recorder plug-in provides UA's revolutionary magnetic tape emulation technology in a simple, affordable package — with all of the essential features. By harnessing the musical, mixable sound of tape, Oxide gives you clarity, punch, and warmth so every track "sounds like a record.””
Thank you for checking out our Weekly blog.
In this blog I will be discussing UAD’s Oxide Tape Recorder plug-in.
A little history
So, when we talk about analog tape-recording, what are the first things that come to mind?
- warm sound
- silky sound
- hiss sound
- compressed sound
These are just some of the things we think about. But there is a lot more that we can speak about when it comes to analog tape recording.
I had the honor and great experience in my early engineering days back in the early 90s, of recording to a “Tascam MR16' half inch” tape machine, while working on a movie score, soundtrack, and dialogue editing. This machine was also sent to a ProTools 8 track audio system (2, four channel PCI audio cards) For a total of eight audio channels. And even though it was hectic, it was an amazing experience to be able to work in both the analog and digital world all within one room, and recording midi to a program called “Vision” by a company called a “OPCODE” .
The midi program eventually updated, upgraded to the capacity of midi an audio! This evolution was a blessing to all of us using the midi only software!
I learned back then what tape sound is and how to get it capture it.
The hectic part of all this was, that there was no undo! You had to be very careful in not the racing something by accident, you had to make sure you were connected and patched into the correct channel. You also had to be very careful in and you have to be very careful storing the real to reel in order not to damage them. As far as editing, I'm not even going to get into this topic. It is very tricky, difficult, and a risky.
- Simple, easy to use features, providing the essential sound of magnetic tape to your recordings
- Custom presets designed by engineer/producer John Paterno guiding you to great sound
- Provides the warm, natural sound and punchy low-end response of large format analog tape
- Tape saturation and circuit overdrive via easy-to-use Input / Output controls and Repro or Input paths
- Tape Speeds of 7.5 and 15 IPS; NAB and CCIR Emphasis curves
- Run 24 stereo or 40 mono tracks with a single UAD-2 QUAD DSP Accelerator
- Algorithm design by UA’s world-renowned team of DSP engineers and AES magnetic recording expert Jay McKnight
- Owners of Oxide get deep discounts towards UA's Magnetic Tape Bundle
- Requires a UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card or Apollo Interface available from authorized dealers worldwide
NOW YOU CAN:
- Easily inject the warm color and punchy low-end response of large format analog tape to your tracks
- Apply tape saturation and circuit overdrive via simple Input/Output controls
- Use presets designed by engineer/producer John Paterno [Brad Paisley, Los Lobos]
- Experience in-the-box recording “through” tape in real time using Apollo interfaces
- Load Oxide on 24 tracks with single UAD-2 QUAD DSP Accelerator
- Choose among 7.5 and 15 IPS Tape Speeds and two emphasis curves for colorful tape textures
Links of interest
Email us: email@example.com