“Tube compression royalty for your mixes”
Thank you for checking out our Weekly blog.
In this blog I will be discussing UAD’s Manley Massive Passive EQ Powered Plug-In.
A little history
The Massive Passive, is a two channel, four band equalizer, which creates an amazing natural, organic, and acoustic tone. It's name “Massive Passive”, is due to it's new EQ design which only uses "passive" circuitry made of only metal from resistance, Phil capacitors and hand wound inductors. It can deliver “Massive" radical EQ moves as well as subtle, mastering EQ techniques.
Universal Audio does it again
“As Manley Labs' flagship compressor since 1994, the Variable Mu is a tube and transformer-driven classic that exudes hand-made craftsmanship. A gold standard among mixing and mastering engineers, the Variable Mu adds clarity and cohesion to stereo buses or your entire mix.
Developed under Manley Labs' rigorous scrutiny, the Manley Variable Mu Limiter Compressor plug-in is a thorough emulation of this legendary tube limiter, and is based on the coveted “6BA6 T-BAR Tube Mod” unit. Now, its famed sound is available exclusively for UAD-2 hardware and Apollo interfaces.”
“Manley Variable Mu Under the Hood
While the Manley Variable Mu uses the remote cut-off style gain reduction found in the Fairchild and other classic limiters, it has a sound and character all its own. Its classic dual-triode gain reduction design is constantly re-biased by the sidechain control voltages, creating a unique variable gain compressor with stunning transparency. This lets you treat source material with velvety-smooth gain reduction, while infusing warm harmonic content, free of audible compression artifacts.
King of the 2-Bus
The Manley Variable Mu Limiter Compressor plug-in can be used on single instruments such as bass or a lead vocal, or on subgroups like strings or horns. But its raison d'être is on the mix bus, where its expert features can unify your mixes with a rich, hi-fi fit and finish.
Parameter linking allows simultaneous adjustment of both channels with stereo signals. When unlinked, the plug-in's Mid/Side processing is actually improved over the hardware, providing phase accurate stereo imaging. The High Pass Sidechain filter prevents compression to frequencies lower than 100 Hz — letting you compress, say, overheads, while retaining punchy bottom-end. Plug-in-only controls Dry/Wet, Mix, and Headroom give you more colors to paint your mixes. Dry/Wet Mix offers easy parallel compression — perfect for polishing vocals and more. Finally, the Headroom control lets you optimize the Variable Mu’s overall level to your playback system.”
- Exclusively licensed and rigorously scrutinized by Manley Labs, modeled by Universal Audio
- Transparent Variable Mu tube compression for master fader, subgroups, or individual sources
- Models entire stereo stereo Class A circuit, including custom tubes and transformers, input gain and gain reduction
- Continuous Dual Input, Stereo Output, Threshold and Attack controls with five position Recovery controls
- Sidechain Filter, L/R or M/S operation plus plug-in only Dry/Wet parallel processing Headroom and Controls Linking
- Requires UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card or Apollo Interface, available from authorized dealers worldwide
NOW YOU CAN:
- Add definition and fidelity to individual tracks, stereo buses, or an entire mix
- Glue together difficult mixes with signature Manley tube compression
- Link channels for a precise, perfectly matched stereo image
- Select from Left/Right or Mid/Side operation for precise control of stereo imaging
- Use the plug-in-only Dry/Wet Mix control to easily dial-in parallel compression
- Mix with artist presets from Tom Elmhirst, J.J. Blair, Mike Larson, and more
Links of interest
Email us: email@example.com